Tuesday 16 December 2014

Motley Tunes #10

Motley Tunes is a weekly segment featuring an assortment of 2-4 songs I find worth sharing.

It's holiday time for me, and that means listening to more music. I've been digging in to (and exhausting the discography of) bands like Weezer, the White Stripes and Pixies for sometime now, and am trying to learn Neutral Milk Hotel and Nirvana songs on my guitar; besides I haven't posted a Motley Tunes post in quite some time now - so yeah, long story short, this post will feature 5 songs instead! Yay!

1. Debaser by Pixies


The Pixies were the godfathers of alternative rock. Their jarring songs, incongruous lyrics and noisy purgative music gave them a massive underground appeal. Debaser, driven by a relentless bassline, jarring guitars and surreal lyrics (slicin' up eyeballs / I want you to know) delivered in anguish, is quintessential Pixies. Watch out for Francis Black screaming "I am un chien Andalusia" (lyrics inspired by a silent surrealist 1929 movie) on this one. 

2. Hello Operator by the White Stripes


Raw, stream-of-consciousness delivery with a pounding guitar playing against a wailing guitar and a middle section consisting of nothing but clicking noises which imitate an operator pressing buttons - Hello Operator is perhaps the White Stripes' most thought-out song. 

3. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson


Probably the sexiest Jack Johnson song. So laid-back it'll make you fall out of your chairs. I wanna sing out these lyrics to someone someday :)

"Waking up too early
maybe we could sleep in 
making banana pancakes 
pretend like it's the weekend."

4. History Lesson - Part II by Minutemen


Uncompromising punk rock stalwarts Minutemen leave their trademark brutality and incoherence aside to give us this nostalgic autobiographical song that opens with the legendary line "Our band could be your life." 

5. El Scorcho by Weezer


The most slapstick Weezer song. Loose, self-deprecating and gauche, the song offers a cool twist to Weezer's favorite theme of earnest-geek-yearning-for-love (singing 'I think I'll be good for me if you'll be good for me'). The music video is weirdly funny too!

Favourite lyrics:

"But that's just a stupid dream that I won't realise
Cuz I can't even look in your eyes
Without shaking, and I ain't fakin',
I'll bring home the turkey if you'll bring home the bacon."


No comments:

Post a Comment